Ed Doyle was born on the south side of Chicago, but has been a Cubs fan all his life. In his first year of college, he attended Oregon State and actually played on the football team, which was too brutal for his liking. After broken fingers and a massive haematoma on his thigh he was out for the season and never played again, however, he did love Oregon, which is why he and Roguey live here now. Out of state tuition doubled, so Ed went to New Mexico State, which is where he met Roguey Welford. She was staying with an Episcopalian minister and his wife for a year who had stayed in her village for a year on an exchange with the village’s rector. Roguey took classes at NM state, where she and Ed met. Roguey was born in England, in the village of Snape, in a converted windmill owned by her uncle, Benjamin Britten. This was shortly before the end of world war 11, while her father was a doctor at one of the many air force bases in Suffolk. After leaving school, she went to New Mexico. She and Ed lived in England for a year after they got married, then lived in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois for six years, where Ed finished school with a master’s in Aquatic Ecology. They then moved to Newport in 1971 with their two daughters, and opened a bookstore, and two years later, the restaurant, originally The Centre Restaurant, as is was in the middle of the building. Since then there have been many menu changes, but some of the original dishes are still offered: the fish sandwich, the French cowboy, the Platter, and espressos. (we have served espressos since 1973, first with a lovely Gaggia with red side panels, and black diamonds, now long gone, sadly.) Ryan, Ed and Roguey’s grandson, started working at 14, and now at 19, waits tables in sch0ol breaks and holidays. One of their daughters has worked on and off since 14, and now bakes all of our desserts, and cookies, waits tables and cooks. The other has a gardening business, and helps in the businesses on occasion.
Canyon Way has been a fixture in Newport Oregon since 1971. The bookstore started in one room of an old apartment building (circa 1905). Three apartments were built on the northeast side of the current building, facing uphill; this is where Club 1216, our music venue, occupies two of the apartments, with part of the bookstore using the third. Lovely in sunny mornings, the sun streams through the original windows.
You can see the original front door to the apartment closest to the street, with 1216 over the door. Also there are the original fir floors, lath and plaster walls and ceilings, and the curved archway of the bedroom, and behind a curtain, unbelievably are a full bathroom, still with the cast iron tub, and a tiny kitchen. The plumbing is still in place.A few years later, three more apartments were built at a sort of right angle, along the street toward the bay. This is where the restaurant is now, with the outdoor seating entered from one of the apartments. And then at some unknown time, the two units were joined together to form a garage, with a dirt floor and gas pumps. This was before the bridge was built, as word of mouth has it that cars that came across on the ferry had to be hauled up the hill. The hill was too steep for the cars then to get up it from a standing start. There is very little known about the building. It is a one story Spanish style, with a plaster exterior, and had a tiled edge to the roof, which has since blown off. The only way to really tell it is old, is to look at the beams which run across the interior where the bookstore counter is, in what used to be the garage. They are solid full dimension 8×22” Douglas fir, holding up an about 3” roof!